How much water should you drink a day? According to the Australian Government, adults should consume between 8 to 10 cups of water per day. This doesn’t sound like a lot, but when you’ve been busily working away at your desk all day, you may not realise that you haven’t reached your recommended intake of daily life-giving water. Biopure, Water for Life give you our tips to drink more water that will help you to ensure your body’s water levels are balanced. Having a water filter at your home or office can actually encourage you to drink more water each day.
Some facts about our body’s water content
- Body water content is higher in men than in women and falls in both as we age;
- Most older adults lose about 2.5 to 3 litres of water per day. Water loss may increase in hot weather and with prolonged exercise;
- Elderly people lose about two litres per day;
- An air traveller can lose approximately 1.5 litres of water during a three-hour flight; and
- Water loss needs to be replaced.
It’s important that we replace any lost water as soon as possible because water is needed for most bodily functions, including to:
- maintain the health and integrity of every cell in the body;
- keep the bloodstream fluid enough to flow freely through blood vessels;
- eliminate the by-products from the body’s metabolism, excess electrolytes (for example, sodium and potassium), and urea, which is a waste product formed through the processing of dietary protein;
- regulate body temperature through sweating;
- moisten mucous membranes such as those of the lungs and mouth;
- lubricate and cushion joints;
- reduce the risk of cystitis by keeping the bladder clear of bacteria;
- aid digestion and prevent constipation;
- moisturise the skin to maintain its texture and appearance;
- carry nutrients and oxygen to cells.
Wow, what a wonderful substance water is! Who knew that it did all of those things?
So, as we can see, it is important to maintain a sufficient level of water in our body for optimal functioning and a sense of wellbeing. However, you can go too far and over-consume water, which can induce Hyponatremia. Hyponatremia is the basically the opposite of dehydration. In rare cases, drinking an extreme amount of water in a short time can be dangerous. It can cause the level of salt, or sodium, in your blood to drop too low. It’s very serious, and can be fatal. You may hear it called water intoxication. Young, healthy people don’t normally get water intoxication unless they drink litres and litres of water at once, as they normally have healthy kidneys that can filter out a maximum of half a litre an hour. So, to become intoxicated by water one would have to consume more than half a litre per hour.
Although you should keep well hydrated, you should also remain conscious of the dangers of consuming too much water. As usual, a balanced approach is recommended.
Tips to drink more water
- Install a water filter in your home or office;
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to plain water to add variety;
- Keep a bottle or glass of water handy on your desk or in your bag and remember to refill it;
- Add ice cubes made from fresh fruit to a glass of water.
Installing a water filter in your home or office will provide you with clean, pure and healthy tasting water that will have you coming back for more. The improved taste of water from a filter means that you will be more inclined to refill again and again, this will lead to naturally better hydration which will provide a number of health and wellness benefits to your life such as:
- eliminate by-products and toxins from the body;
- regulate body temperature;
- moisten the mouth;
- aid digestion and prevent constipation;
- moisturise the skin; and
- increase nutrient flow and absorption around the body.
Whether you are looking to improve your health, or just ensure that you drink more water, Biopure, Water for Life can help you to achieve your water related goals. Biopure have a number of filter systems that can be tailored to your home or office, and regardless of whether you chose a countertop filter or go for the whole house filter or premium reverse osmosis system you will be inspired to drink more water due to the improved taste and flavour of the water. You will no longer have to worry about forcing yourself to drink more water as you will just naturally want to drink more.
Biopure, Water for Life have water filter systems that are suited to every person and every family and we can even assist you to install your water filter system.